Upgrade 9.04 -> 9.10 seems to have broken all init.d scripts

Lou Katz ubuntu at metron.com
Thu Dec 24 20:05:05 UTC 2009

I recently used upgrade manager to upgrade Xubuntu 9.04 to Xubuntu 9.10. The first thing I noticed
was that the network wasn't turned on. Being in a rush, I just stuck some code in rc.local to turn
it on, but that didn't work either, so on logging in I ran the rc.local script by hand. Other things
didn't seem quite right either (ntp wasn't running). Nothing that I have tried seems to make these
come up at boot time, and I cannot find ANY log messages about these scripts. In fact, extra output
from the scripts doesn't seem to happen.

I finally deduced that none of the scripts were being run. Any hints on how to fix this?

Thanks
--

-=[L]=-
Now with special coding action!