Linux dpkg Software Report

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Thu Dec 24 11:40:22 UTC 2009

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> Ray Parrish wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I hope I won't get flamed for this, but I have just completed my most
>>> ambitious script to date, and have completed the Linux dpkg Software
>>> Report script which takes output from dpkg, and formats it into html
>>> pages sorted by package section, such as Games, Editors, etc... and also
>>> generates an alphabetical index to the packages.
>>>
>>> All web urls, ftp urls, and emails in the dpkg output have been
>>> converted to clickable links, and there are links to each package's
>>> installed files lists, and configuration files lists, as well as any
>>> index.html files in that package's /usr/share/doc/packagename folders.
>>>
>>> I've released it as open source, and it is available at -
>>>
>>> <http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html>
>>>
>>> There is also a sample output set from the script available for perusal
>>> linked on that page.
>>>
>>> Sorry if you consider this spam, it's not a technical question, but an
>>> announcement of something  I think could help some people learn their
>>> systems easier.
>>>
>>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>>

>> Ray,
>> Does it look like the output in Webmin in:
>>
>> Webmin -> System -> Software Packages -> Package Tree ?
>> Earlier versions sorted the files alphabetically within categories (just
>> as you describe) the current version sorts just alphabetically (which I
>> think is a degradation).
>> I use Webmin already from it's earliest versions and I find it an
>> indispensable tool for administering my system.
>> Joep
>>
> Hello,
>
> I tried to install Webmin to have a look at is as I've never heard of it
> before, and it does not appear to be in the repositories. Perhaps you
> could tell me where to find it, so I can see if it does the same thing
> my program does.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

RAy,
You can find it in the section:
System Administration.
Of course you can download it from the website > www.webmin.com
The current version is 1.500.
Package listing is but one small function within a wealth of others. It
give you administrative control of many applications and your system.
Moreover you can control system and applications remotely ( which in my
case is sometimes very handy).
Have fun with it.
Joep

Beware, some do hate it for others it is indispensable (o.a. me).