9.10 LiveCD - No Display and no Consoles on Dell Inspiron 1545

R. A. Bilonick rab at consolidated.net
Wed Dec 23 18:02:01 UTC 2009

Besides 9.10 upgrade failing to boot on HP 2133 (9.04 to 9.10 upgrade
huge disaster - somehow it will now only boot to 8.04 - all 9.04 kernels
gone and no 9.10 kernels), the 9.10 LiveCD does not work on a Dell
Inspiron 1545 that has 9.04 installed and working perfectly.

The LiveCD starts as usual but after accepting English the screen goes
blank and stays blank. Eventually I can hear the start up tune playing
but without any display cannot do anything. Cannot open a console. I've
tried both the 32-bit and the 64-bit LiveCDs and both behave the same.

9.10 upgrade worked fine on one other older laptop and two 64-bit cpu
machines but not on the HP2133. I'm afraid to try to upgrade from 9.04
to 9.10 on the Dell given the LiveCD does not work. (Fedora 12 LiveCD
works fine on both the HP and the Dell.)

Rick B.