ncomputing and Ubuntu 9.10

Dedhi Sujatmiko sujatmiko.dedhi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 09:20:09 UTC 2009

Andrew Kane wrote:
> I'm unclear as to why this is necessary or desirable. Ubuntu is
> already a multi-user system out of the box. The X Window system was
> designed from the ground up to work over a network. Surely this has
> been done before in a way that doesn't require a proprietary black
> box?

Yes, but that proprietary black box gives the connectivity and provide
Keyboard-Video-Mouse with PXE boot.
We can also create custom thin client with PXE boot and using the LTSP,
however the thin client price is still more expensive than the Ncomputing.

Ncomputing is actually nice. The Chinese company made that in bulk thus
so cheap. Sometimes I can get the old version in the Hongkong's
www.dealextreme.com dirt cheap.
The problem is that NComputing use proprietary technology and very slow
in catching up with the real world. Also, it does not have cooperation
with Microsoft, thus many time, a simple Windows update will break that.