Complete newbie: WINE

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Tue Dec 22 09:36:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 02:09 -0500, Melissa Lane wrote:
>  Ok, I admit I am a complete noob to linux and I am using UBUNTU and
> need to know how to remove all traces of WINE so I can Redownload it
> and start over again. Any and all help would be awesome.

If you're needing to start over with Wine, (i.e. you tried installing a
program/did some configuring, and now wine won't work right) you can
typically start fresh by simply removing the ".wine" folder in your home
directory, then running winecfg again. you shouldn't need to completely
uninstall wine, unless you were patching it, installing it from source,
etc... But for the sake of completeness

To remove all traces of Wine, installed via package manager (From GUI):
     1. System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
     2. Search "wine". In the sidebar on the left, click "Status" then
        select "Installed" to only show installed packages
     3. Right-click on wine package(s), "Mark for Complete Removal"
     4. Click Apply.
     5. Go to Places > Home Folder
     6. View > Show Hidden Files
     7. locate the .wine folder, and delete it.
     8. Profit.

Same thing from command line:
     1. Applications > Accessories > Terminal
     2. sudo apt-get purge wine
     3. rm -rf ~/.wine

Hope that helps.

--