Simple Backup Config

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Tue Dec 22 04:55:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:58:48 -0500 (EST)
accessys at smart.net wrote:

> this software has worked for me out of the box but if it is not
> configured right it will recursively back up your backups and soon
> fill up your hard drive. and the files are "permission denied" for
> deleting them. the only way I could get the extras deleted was in
> terminal using sudo su
>
> not for a beginner or faint of heart.  make sure you exclude files
> over 100mb (or what ever size) that blocks the recursive nature of
> this software
>
> Bob
>
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Craig wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 01:12:36 +0800
> > From: Craig <thedoctor at iinet.net.au>
> > To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> >     <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> > Subject: Simple Backup Config
> >
> > There is a program that I found called "simple backup config"
> >
> > It has two options include and exclude.
> >
> > On the include it has /var/    /home/    /usr/local/   and etc  all
> > I want to do is back up the whole hard drive it has options
> > excluding the above, I just want to include every thing.
> >
> > It has add file, add directory and remove, which directories do I
> > include
> >

> > Thanks Kate

If you really mean to backup the whole drive, might I suggest having a
look at Clonezilla.

In short, it WILL backup your drive (only actual data) and you could
store the archives on either a secondary drive (as I do - I have a 1 TB
drive) OR, if your system resides on something like a 400 GB drive, it
is possible to dump it as little as a 4 GB flash drive (I have done
this also).

Clonezilla has a small learning curve but once you archive a time or
two, it becomes second nature.

In a nutshell, you boot off the Clonezilla CD (or home built flash
drive) pick the disk you want to backup, tell it where to save it, pick
a name, and in about 15 minutes, you have a perfect clone of your disk.

I myself run it once a week or before I want to blow away my install to
install some other Linux distro (or God forbid, Windows).

Then to restore, it's pretty much the same routine. Boot off the CD or
flash, tell Clonezilla where your archive files are stored, where you
wish to restore to, pick either restore a partition or disk, and in
about 10 minutes, you have your last working system.

Of course, Clonezilla is NOT for backing up/restoring files or
directories - just a nice DR routine.

This may not be the perfect option for you at this time however, it is
something that you should at least get familiar with.

Just my .02 worth.

--
Best regards,

Chris

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty."

           -- Thomas Jefferson