data shredder

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon Dec 21 21:51:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, December 21, 2009 15:37, Gilles Gravier wrote:

> Yes. So software shredding is probably not good enough against people
> with fancy hardware...

Even a 0.907185 kg, as someone wrote, won't be enough against *really*
fancy hardware.

> Note that my customers in the defense space never return faulty drives.
> They physically convert them to dust. We just send them
> "replacements"... but they don't send the bad ones in exchange. :)

Yeah ok defense... ;-)
I work at a steel mill, and we also have a very efficient way of
destroying disks: use them as scrap metal. :)

> As I said, have a look at Radia Perlman's work on assured delete and the
> ephemerizer.

I don't have to because I already did that a couple of years ago. :-p

>>> Unless there is clear text in that block that allows a sector search to
>>> find it...
>>>
>> That assumes that you already know what you want to find. It won't work
>> for a blind search.
>>
> If you're taking somebody's disk... you know what you are looking for,
> to some extent. :)

for various values of "extent" :)