data shredder

Emil Payne EHSPayne at angelwoodpines.org
Mon Dec 21 07:26:14 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/20/2009 07:28 PM, jesse stephen wrote:
>> I'm looking for a data shredder for ubuntu 9.10
>>

> $ man shred
>

>From MAN SHRED - Note the info about EXT3:

CAUTION: Note that shred relies on a very  important  assumption:  that
the file system overwrites data in place.  This is the traditional way
    to do things, but many modern file system designs do not  satisfy
this       assumption.   The following are examples of file systems on
which shred       is not effective, or is not guaranteed to be effective
in all file sys‐       tem modes:

       * log-structured or journaled file systems, such as those
supplied with AIX and Solaris (and JFS, ReiserFS, XFS, Ext3, etc.)

       * file systems that write redundant data and  carry  on  even  if
 some writes fail, such as RAID-based file systems

       *  file  systems  that  make snapshots, such as Network
Appliance's NFS server

       * file systems that cache in temporary locations, such as NFS
version 3 clients

       * compressed file systems

       In  the  case  of  ext3 file systems, the above disclaimer
applies (and shred is thus of limited  effectiveness)  only  in
data=journal  mode, which  journals  file  data  in addition to just
metadata.  In both the data=ordered (default) and data=writeback modes,
shred works as  usual.

       Ext3  journaling  modes  can  be  changed  by adding the
data=something option to the mount  options  for  a  particular  file
system  in  the /etc/fstab file, as documented in the mount man page
(man mount).

       In  addition, file system backups and remote mirrors may contain
copies of the file that cannot be removed, and that will allow a
shredded file to be recovered later.

--
Fantasy Football Rules: