Could not calculate the upgrade -- Error Message (While doing Manual Update)

Jatin Davey daveyjatin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 06:05:32 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/18/2009 09:46 AM, Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> I would like to add one more information that tried with the terminal.
>> Basicallt i was trying to update the entire ubuntu box for any new
>> packages using the GUI, Since it failed as described in the above mail i
>> tried the apt-get command. I tried the following:
>>
>> firstly i gave the command : sudo apt-get update
>> then i gave the command : sudo apt-get upgrade
>>
>> The result of doing this was that i got 2 packages upgraded in my system.
>>
>> So what i infer is that the GUI is not working properly but the system
>> gets updated using the terminal. Please let me know if i am missing
>> something here.
>>

> A few things you might check:
> 1. Look in Synaptic|Custom Filters|Broken and see if you have any
> 'Broken' packages there.
> 2. $ sudo apt-get install -f
> 3. $ sudo apt-get autoremove -s
>
> On the last, the '-s' will cause a 'simulation' of the command an show
> you what would be removed with out the '-s'. If you have old packages in
> there that are no longer needed, then go ahead and run the command
> without the '-s'.
> $ man apt-get
> will provide more information about autoremove, '-f' etc.

Noop, I tried the following steps:

1. Opened the synaptic package manager and scrolled to custom filters
and checked for any broken packages.
2. No broken packages were found here.
3. Opened the terminal and typed the following command : sudo apt-get
install -f
4. Then issued the command : sudo apt-get autoremove -s (It showed me
that i have 7 packages for upgrade)
5. Did not give yes and exited the terminal.

Since i found that i have 7 packages required upgrade i issued the
following commands:
1. sudo apt-get update
2. sudo apt-get upgrade

Now just to check whether the old problem is still persisting i tried
the update manager GUI but still i am seeing the earlier mentioned error
on the GUI.

Thanks
Jatin