Large numbers of virtual desktops

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Fri Dec 18 22:22:49 UTC 2009

I'm currently using Debian with fvwm2. I'm about about buy a new laptop,
and am considering switching to Ubuntu.

I work on large numbers of remote machines, with SSH windows to each. I
have 16x16 fvwm virtual desktops. Yes, that's 256 in total. At any time,
I'm using perhaps 100 to 200 of them. In each virtual desktop is a
maximized xterm. I have a mental map of which one points to which remote
machine. I can switch rapidly between them using CTRL-arrows. I much
prefer using the keyboard to the mouse, which I find slow and clumsy.

Does anything like this exist for Ubuntu? If so, you probably have a
convert!

--
Alistair Cunningham
+1 888 468 3111