Ubuntu 9.10 How to set 96 dpi resolution for X sessions?

Steve yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 18 21:16:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 20:49:44 -0000, Mark Goldshtein
<ubuntu.listmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Andrew Farris
> <flyindragon1 at aol.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 09:45 +0300, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>> > Hello, List!
>> >
>> > Would you, please, help me to set 96 dpi resolution in any X session,
>> > which may be locally started on localhost?
>> >
>> > At the moment, the resolution is 111x117 pixels (1366x768 notebook
>> > display at nvidia mobile gt240 video board) according to 'xdpyinfo'
>> > output. The version of a video driver is corresponds to an official
>> > repository version.
>>
>> The extreme low resolution indicates a driver problem. What driver
>> exactly are you using? The output you're seeing from xdpyinfo would
>> help... as would your Ubuntu version.
>>

> Thanks for respond!
>
> Sorry, writing about "111x117" I meant "dpi", not just "pixels". I was
> away
> from the OS and can not remembered the values exactly. Here is more
> accurate
> info:
>
> NVIDIA driver version 185.18.36
>
> $ xdpyinfo:
>
> name of display:    :0.0
> version number:    11.0
> vendor string:    The X.Org Foundation
> vendor release number:    10604000
> X.Org version: 1.6.4
> [...]
> screen #0:
>   dimensions:    1366x768 pixels (313x171 millimeters)
>   resolution:    111x114 dots per inch
>   depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
>
> My Ubuntu version is 9.10
>
> $ uname -ra
> Linux localhost 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:01:29 UTC
> 2009
> i686 GNU/Linux
>

>> > Yes, in GNOME Control Center a resolution value is set to 96 dpi.
>> > Googled solution to put a section '[standard-Server]' in gdm.conf is
>> > impossible, because there is no such file in proposed
>> > place, /etc/gdm/.
>>
>> The screen resolution is a different issue from setting the DPI. as I
>> said above, If you're having issues with a really low resolution, then
>> the issue is likely your driver. let us know what driver you'r using,
>> then we'll be able to help more.
>>
>> Hope that helps!
>>

> I think a correct string in xorg.conf may help a lot.

If this information is correct for your display dimensions: 1366x768
pixels (313x171 millimeters) & resolution: 111x114 dots per inch then I
don’t think there’s a lot you can do as you can’t alter scan rates like
you can on a CRT to get different dpi.
On a displat that size you’d need 1183*646 to get 96 dpi
Why do you want 96dpi?

--
Steve