question about configuring gnome/xwindows

Werner Schram wrschram at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 20:41:41 UTC 2009

Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:02:53 -0500, Josh Madden wrote:
>

>> I guess what I'm really looking for is a way to have a separate
>> configuration for gnome or some other GDM that I can choose from the
>> login menu or even the GRUB boot screen. I need a second configuration
>> of a GDM that when logged into will simply launch vncviewer or tinyvnc
>> and fullscreen it. Then, I'd like to be able to script some additional
>> behavior for when the user shuts down the VNC session (logs off the
>> remote computer). I know some of this is scripting, I'm mainly looking
>> for a place to start, what files need to be duplicated, where stuff
>> should be modified, etc.
>>
>> Your guys help is greatly appreciated
>>
>> Josh
>>

> I would use a separate user for that and have done that in the past for
> user that just have to run one application.

You can also add an entry to the session menu (at the bottom of the
screen when you have selected a user). You do this by adding a .desktop
file to /usr/share/xsessions. Just copy the xterm.desktop and replace
all xterm occurences with your favorite vnc client.

The gnome greeter used to include an xdmcp option (disabled by default),
but this has been removed in the 9.10 version. Too bad, because it might
have been excactly what you are looking for.

Regards,
Werner