Ubuntu 9.10 How to set 96 dpi resolution for X sessions?

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Fri Dec 18 20:12:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 09:45 +0300, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
> Hello, List!
>
> Would you, please, help me to set 96 dpi resolution in any X session,
> which may be locally started on localhost?
>
> At the moment, the resolution is 111x117 pixels (1366x768 notebook
> display at nvidia mobile gt240 video board) according to 'xdpyinfo'
> output. The version of a video driver is corresponds to an official
> repository version.

The extreme low resolution indicates a driver problem. What driver
exactly are you using? The output you're seeing from xdpyinfo would
help... as would your Ubuntu version.

> Yes, in GNOME Control Center a resolution value is set to 96 dpi.
> Googled solution to put a section '[standard-Server]' in gdm.conf is
> impossible, because there is no such file in proposed
> place, /etc/gdm/.

The screen resolution is a different issue from setting the DPI. as I
said above, If you're having issues with a really low resolution, then
the issue is likely your driver. let us know what driver you'r using,
then we'll be able to help more.

Hope that helps!

--
Andrew