Could not calculate the upgrade -- Error Message (While doing Manual Update)

Jatin Davey daveyjatin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 17:46:39 UTC 2009

Jatin Davey wrote:
> Hi all
>
> While doing the manual update of the ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop using
> the GUI i get this error message.
> *"Could not calculate the upgrade".*
>
> It basically reads something from the cache and it goes on for about
> 25 mins then i get this error message.
>
> Complete Message is as below:
>
> *Could not calculate the upgrade
>
> An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
> E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>
> This can be caused by:
> * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
> * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
> * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu
>
> This is most likely a transient problem, please try again later.*
>

> Please help me on resolving this issue.
>
> Thanks
> Jatin

I would like to add one more information that tried with the terminal.
Basicallt i was trying to update the entire ubuntu box for any new
packages using the GUI, Since it failed as described in the above mail i
tried the apt-get command. I tried the following:

firstly i gave the command : sudo apt-get update
then i gave the command : sudo apt-get upgrade

The result of doing this was that i got 2 packages upgraded in my system.

So what i infer is that the GUI is not working properly but the system
gets updated using the terminal. Please let me know if i am missing
something here.

Thanks
Jatin