How to set up ssh connection to another system using "Passwords and Encryption Keys"?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Dec 18 11:03:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:05:20PM +0100, Tom H wrote:
> > Can anyone point me at some instructions which show how to set up an
> > ssh connection using the Passwords/Keys kept in "Passwords and
> > Encryption Keys" (that's actually seahorse).
> >
> > I've hunted and hunted but can't find anywhere that gives step by step
> > instructions on how to do it.  E.g. I want something like:-
> >
> >    1 - Create a new XXX entry in "Passwords and Encryption Keys"
> >    2 - Copy the public key to the remote system
> >    3 - Logout and log back in again
> >    4 - ssh to the remote system should now work 'passwordless'
> >
> > I need to know what needs to be installed and running on the system as
> > well as a "what the user does" sequence.  Currently I have done
> > something like the sequence outlined above but it simply doesn't work
> > at all.
>
> Hope these help:
> http://www.debianadmin.com/ssh-key-authentication-using-seahorse-gui.html

Well that confirms that I was doing the right thing, as I have since
reported it's broken and simply does nothing useful after you have
entered the key as described above.

Seahorse itself works OK, it creates the keys in the right places on the
local and the remote system.  What doesn't work at all is the gnome
keyring which is supposed to replace ssh-agent.  It is fixable though,
I think.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/seahorse/+bug/201786

I think this is one error I'm not seeing!

Thanks for the links.

--
Chris Green