HDD LED pulsing/flashing every second - any cure?

Ardo Gorria ardo.gorria at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 09:57:42 UTC 2009

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 in a fairly standard configuration on an Asus
P5KPL-CM motherboard. I have one WD SATA HDD and one Samsung SATA SH-S223
DVD drive.

In addition to normal HDD activity the HDD LED is pulsing about one a second
when the computer is 'idle'. I Googled and the consensus is, that the DVD is
being checked for the insertion of a disk about once every second. Sure
enough, I have tried disconnecting the SATA DVD and the LED pulsing stops.

In view of the above I guess that the pulsing is probably normal as the
driver is checking the DVD for disk insertion but I am curious if there is
any way to stop the flashing from happening?

Thank you.

Ardo.