Backing up with dd, and creating a file system on a new drive.

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Fri Dec 18 03:08:14 UTC 2009

Hello,

I just got my new 500 GB drive, and am excited about being able to back
up my 160 GB old drive. Since I am new to the LInux camp, I need to know
how to set up the new drive, and how to use dd to image the 160 GB drive
to the 500 GB drive.

After I do back up the small drive, and create partitions beyond what dd
writes there, will there be a problem with using dd to rewrite the back
up at a later date with the new partitions beyond the backup partitions?

Can I use gparted to create an ntfs volume of the drive first, then use
dd to image the small one, or can I run dd on the unformatted drive
first to create the backup partitions?

Thanks, Ray Parrish

--
The Future of Technology.