Intermittent network connection problem

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 18 00:01:57 UTC 2009

On 12/17/2009 02:33 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> So if you find that samba is not running:
>>> $ /etc/init.d/samba status
>>>  * could not access PID file for nmbd
>>>  * could not access PID file for smbd
>>>
>>> you can restart:
>>> $ sudo /etc/init.d/samba start
>>>
>>> and then you should get the running status again:
>>> $ /etc/init.d/samba status
>>>  * nmbd is running
>>>  * smbd is running
>>
>> NoOp,
>>
>> Thanks alot for the detailed examples.  They will save me a lot of
>> reboots.
>>
>> Also, you helped me redefine the real problem and that is Samba not
>> starting. I just Googled that and see some hits, so maybe the longterm
>> solution lies there.
>>
>> Thanks again,  Jim
>>

> small remark Noop: it's safer to use sudo service samba status instead
> of the direct use of the scripts in /etc/int.d/
> Joep

Ah yes... I keep forgetting karmic uses upstart & still haven't gotten
used to all the 'new & improved' features yet. Thanks.

However, you do realise that 'sudo service samba' invokes /etc/init.d/
scripts for this?

$ sudo service samba
Usage: /etc/init.d/samba {start|stop|reload|restart|force-reload|status}

So I'm not entirely clear (yet) what the difference would be using
'service samba' vs /etc/init.d/samba is.