Thread hijacking

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 17 02:30:58 UTC 2009

On 12/16/2009 05:05 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>>> It seems to be the RFC purists who drag out this bit of nonsense from
>>> time-to-time on most of the lists out there.
>>>
>>> The RFC clearly states that replies should be to the individual.
>>>

>> Can you please cite the RFC? Not disputing, just curious & would like to
>> read it. Thanks.
>>

> This should explain it.
>
> http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html
>
> Relevant portion if you do not wish to read the whole thing.
>
> "In April of 2001, the IETF issued af new document, RFC 2822, which
> obsoletes RFC 822. In this new RFC, the author addresses the Reply-To
> header field in a few places, but the most relevant to this discussion
> is the following in section 3.6.2 "Originator fields":
>
>      When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it indicates the mailbox(es)
> to which the author of the message suggests that replies be sent."
>

> Another portion of the article for those who say 2822 is old and obsolete.
>
> "How to specify where to post list messages
>
> RFC 2369 specifies, in section 3.4, the List-Post header field:
>
>      The List-Post field describes the method for posting to the list.
> This is typically the address of the list, but MAY be a moderator, or
> potentially some other form of submission. For the special case of a
> list that does not allow posting (e.g., an announcements list), the
> List-Post field may contain the special value "NO".
>
> Modern mail list software sets this header field, or provides some
> mechanism for the administrator to set it."

Well, I've had a look and I suppose others with better understanding of
lists can comment (and yes I do indeed know the RFC system), but maybe
I'm not understanding. This list seems to comply:

> Sender: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com

And again, not disputing, just trying to understand that issue.

But then again, I suppose that discussing this further in this thread is
indeed 'Thread hijacking' eh :-) Perhaps we can start a new thread over
in sounder to discuss further. Thanks for the info & we now return back
to 'Thread hijacking'... :-)