Thread hijacking

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Dec 17 00:40:54 UTC 2009

Tom H wrote:

>>> Unfortunately some lists are set up so a simple reply will go only to
>>> the poster, so one has to remember to do Reply To All.  It is easy to
>>> forget which list is which and do the wrong sort of reply.   The
>>> gnucash-user list is an example of this, in the mail footer it has:
>
>> That is the way things were in the beginning. It is not 'unfortunately'
>> at all.

>>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All
>
>>> Why it is setup like this I have no idea, it makes it easy to make mistakes.
>
>> Because it is RFC recommended. It would appear that only lists like
>> ubuntu-users that seem to want to discourage private/direct replies are
>> setup otherwise.
>
> The Sun Managers, RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora lists behave like
> ubuntu-users so the latter is not the exception that you are implying.

Just because YOU are not part of any mailing list that is not used for
discussion does not mean that lists that are not setup to mess around
with the Reply-To: were not and are not the norm.

I, alone, maintain over 30 mailing lists and none of those lists set the
discussion of any sort. The Reply-To: is reserved for redirecting
private replies to the proper party.