Networking documentation?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 16 22:04:29 UTC 2009

On 12/16/2009 11:14 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> I have been running Ubuntu 9.10 for about 10 days now and pretty much
> have things working well.  The only problem I have is networking.  Many
> times when I boot up Ubuntu other machines on my network cannot find
> Ubuntu.  The only solution I have found is to keep booting Ubuntu until
> the other machines can see it.
>
> I was wondering if the documentation always gets updated to reflect what
> is in the new releases?  In trying to find a solution I looked in the
> Desktop User Guide (section 8.3.1.1). It described a Network Settings
> main window that had 4 tabbed sections, Connections - General - DNS &
> Hosts.  I've looked at everything in the menus related to networking I
> could find but don't see what is mentioned in the guide.

The guide is indeed outdated:
Copyrights
Copyright © 2005  Shaun McCance
Copyright © 2004  Sun Microsystems
Copyright © 2003  Sun Microsystems

The lastest still references the old Network Manager (pre
intrepid/jaunty/karmic):
http://library.gnome.org/users/user-guide/2.28/user-guide.html
However, I am not sure, but this might actually be correct for standard
Gnome.

Ubuntu uses a newer network manager, so this will be more appropriate
for you:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager0.7

There is some mention regarding NM in the "Internet and Networks"
document, in Help:

ghelp:internet#connecting
file://///usr/share/gnome/help/internet/C/internet.xml#networkmanager

But that document could certain use some 'work and updating' as well.