wireless problem

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 15 03:02:48 UTC 2009

I'm running a clean install of 64 bit karmic on a Thinkpad T400 and I can't get a real wireless connection to an open 11b or 11g access point I did replace the default kde network management widget with wicd, but this worked fine with jaunty. Wired networking is fine and I can get a connection if I boot from the live CD used for the install. Also, wireless works fine from XP (dual boot).

When I say "a real wireless connection", what I mean is that wicd reports a connection, ifconfig reports an IP address of 192.168.0.xxx and I can ping a variety of servers, but whatever browser I use reports that I the server isn't available (despite active pinging).

HELP!!! please.

TIA
Paul