The new karmic login screen

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 23:36:34 UTC 2009

>> Just installed V 9.10. I like the login very much and I want to
>> install it on my production installation V9.04.
>> Which package contains this solution?

> Is this a desktop or a server? For a desktop the operation is fairly
> simple, just run the update-manager (System > Administration > Update
> Manager) and when you check for updates, provided you're up-to-date,
> then there should be a button across the top that says "New Distribution
> Available" and you click that to upgrade.

> For a server, I'm a bit fuzzy... I believe all you have to run is
> "do-release-upgrade" and that tool should handle everything for you,
> provided you are already fully up-to-date on your packages.

If I understand correctly, The OP wants to use the 9.10 version of gdm
in 9.04 not upgrade his 9.04 to 9.10.

It may be possible through backports but I suspect that gdm is too big
and crucial for this.

OT: Ubuntu desktop can be upgraded through the cli with
"do-release-upgrade -m desktop". Without the "-m desktop",
"do-release-upgrade" defaults to "do-release-upgrade -m server".