RFC - Archiving Music CDs for Backup Purposes

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sat Dec 12 12:58:06 UTC 2009

Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:01:25 -0000, Joep L. Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> Justin Gruenberg wrote:

>>> You aren't going to have any space savings over FLAC if you're making
>>> exact bit-for-bit copies of the CDs, although you would be able to
>>> mount them and play them in any application that plays cd audio.  Each
>>> CD will be as big as 700mb (so you're wasting a lot of space).
>>>
>>> Honestly, I'd just rip to mp3 unless you're a serious audiophile.
>>> You have the benefit of adding metadata to all the files, making it
>>> easier to find music instantly.  mp3 plays on just about any device.
>>> If the lossless bit is really important to you, go for flac... enough
>>> hard drive for your 100 cds is pretty inexpensive now.
>>>
>> You don't need to be an audiophile to not use mp3 as serious backup for
>> CD's. It depends on the sort of music you want to backup. NEVER use it
>> for classical music and jazz. I have no experience with other kinds of
>> music.
>> Joep (musician)
>>

> A true audiophile would never listen to digitised music anyway:-)
>
> Just rip the CDs to ogg, flac, mp3, whatever, listen to them and carefully
> store the CDs away.  If a CD, or any other original media, gets damaged
> beyond use you have to replace it anyway. Do  you backup books.

Justin,
That's untrue! All CD's are digital. Or do you mean that the only
musical reproduction to listen to is a vinyl recording? or an audiophile
only listens to a life performance? (as it was >120 years ago).
I agree partly. I record my own performances (jazz piano) on 24-bit (OK,
it's not analogue!) but the commercial recordings I work(ed) on are of
course all 16-bit. But the gist of the matter is that you should never
make a backup with a lesser quality than the original.
About replacing that can sometimes be a problem. Older CD's are often
not available any more (at least with respect to classical music and jazz).
Joep.