GNU GRUB 1.97~beta4 error: invalid signature, press any key to continue

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 10 20:54:34 UTC 2009

On 12/09/2009 08:50 PM, Jeremy Sellors wrote:
> I have a dual boot Windows 7 on the first partition and Ubuntu 9.10
> server on the other. Everything was working fine until some upgrade
> today—now I get a Grub error: invalid signature. the selected item
> GRUB list now flashes. The first menu item is Ubuntu Linux 2.6.31-16
> Server.
> How do you repair GRUB?

Google:
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q=Ubuntu+%2B"Grub+error%3A+invalid+signature"&btnG=Google+Search>

Possible:
[Grub "Invalid Signature" error when booting windows]
Note: there are three pages there - check all three.

I've found that when having problems with grub2, using the Supergrub sgd
allows me to at least boot & then from there I can modify grub if
necessary. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10921
sgd_cdrom_1.21.iso.gz
sgd_floppy_1.21.img.gz

Note: I've not been able to use the grub-rescue-cdrom.iso on grub2 -
works fine for grub/grub1.

Ubuntu info:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2