whats up with the ubuntuforums? (screenshot added)

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Dec 10 14:50:23 UTC 2009

Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>> One way to kill Ubuntu -- destroy the forums. We need a backup!!!!
>>>
>> Oh yeah, definitely not good for Ubuntu's image. These guys cannot
>> even keep something up 24/7 yada yada...
>>

> Are you kidding?

Half kidding. How would you feel if you were a business and you see the
official ubuntu forum going down for a business day? How would you feel
if you were a potential new user or someone trialing ubuntu for home and
you find the official ubuntu forum down? Especially when you find out
that the mailto: is also empty. Does it look professional to you any
more? Do you want to install a hobby operating system on your box if you
have no clue how computers work and just want something that works? What
do you think people might be thinking? Remember, we do not have the
advantage of being able to point to others as providers of support. You
cannot point to Dell, yada yada as sources of help with Ubuntu beyond
proprietary drivers. Microsoft can.

If you were a Windows user and this sort of thing happened to Apple and
they did not have shops all over the place and a support line, would you
get a Mac if your sources of support were a forum that went down and
mailing lists that you have never participated in?