That Code of Conduct

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 10 11:25:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:03:47 +0000
Avi Greenbury <avismailinglistaccount at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > One of the core components, yes, but still /not/ aimed at simple
> > users. According to all the documentation I have read users
> > are /not/ members of the Ubuntu community. To be one of those
> > members takes an application and approval.
>
> As far as I gather, there are two distinct ideas:
> 	Ubuntu Member
> 	Ubuntu Community Member (or member of the ubuntu community)
>
> To become a Ubuntu Member requires going through an approval process,
> and to have been a member of the Ubuntu community.
> To be a member of the Ubuntu community just requires participation in
> it, via mailing lists, newsgroups, IRC, wikis, commits, forums etc.
> This is different to a 'ubuntu user' who uses the software but doesn't
> participate in the community.
> (I do think the names are rather more similar than is convenient.)
>
> The CoC, therefore, applies to anyone participating in the ubuntu
> community - including those of us on this list.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership
states simply:
"Membership of the Ubuntu community means recognition of a significant
and sustained contribution to Ubuntu and the Ubuntu community."

That seems pretty definitive to me that community members ain't us.
...or at least ain't me.

Cybe R. Wizard
	Winduhs