Unlock a compac 7550

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Thu Dec 10 09:17:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 00:01 -0600, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 18:26 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> > On 12/08/2009 05:35 PM, John Heinen wrote:
> > > Hi Andrew, I did peruse the above alas, most of it is way over my head,
> > > To isolate the problem some, the CRC error appears only when I try to
> > > load a LINUX program such as ubuntu, kubuntu, it runs fine on windows xp
> > > The computer, A Compac 7550 Wind Ep 2002, AMD sempron processor 1.79 ghz
> > > 224 mb of ram. 224 mb not enough? John
> > >

> > No.
> >
> > http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910
>
> Unfortunately, NoOp is correct... 224mb isn't enough to run ubuntu...
> though I don't think this would cause the CRC error your seeing...though
> I've been wrong before.
[snip]

Oops! my bad... I just re-read your first email again, and realized that
you've already looked at the alternatives I presented here... Therefore,
I've snipped it in favor of more useful information (see below).

Sorry about that...please disregard my previous email.

> I'm sorry if this info is over your head...I realize it may be a bit
> overwhelming for a new user to absorb...
[snip]

What specifically was over your head? perhaps I can help clarify. Just
keep in mind, the set of links at the end of my first email were purely
for information...basically it was just references to where I had picked
up some of the info I included in my email.

As for your issue with it happening only on linux, and not XP... this
could be that because XP is already installed, it's not catching any
issues for some reason, though an attempted fresh install with XP may
result in a likewise failure, like the linux disks. The other
possibilities include a bad CD, or failing CD drive, as I outlined in my
first email on this thread.

You can test this by following the MD5 sum instructions on the link from
my first email, reprinted here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM. If you have any
questions/issues, let me know, and I can help out.

One thing you can do fairly easily though, is when you stick the CD in,
and you get the liveCD boot menu, use the 'Test Memory' option to let it
start running memtest86+ to make sure your memory isnt dying. If there
are any errors, it will pop up in bright red and tell you, so it's
perfectly clear. After your ram has been tested, we can start
eliminating some of the other possibilities, provided the RAM wasn't the
culprit.

Hope that helps!

--
Andrew