That Code of Conduct

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 02:21:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Therefore the CoC isn't germane to the user
> group at

Well, no because it clearly says on that link that the Code of Conduct
applies to the mailing list.

> "More Like Guidelines Than
> Actual Rules."

Actually they mix-and-match the terms "Guidelines" and "Rules".  Given
that "Guidelines" is used first and seems to apply more to the entire
text of the mailing list etiquette page, I'd lean towards you being
right.

However, in a subsection further down the page it does use the term
"Rule of Thumb" and then go on to say "There are four fundamental
rules"

So I suppose it could be said that everyone on this list should be
aware of what that Rule of Thumb is, as well as those 4 fundamental
"Rules".  And they should try to follow them.

One specific example they give of the "Rule of Thumb" is :
"The ubuntu-users mailing list should be used for technical support."

Which tells me that the intent of this list is that we can discuss
anything and everything that is part of Ubuntu.

The 4 hard rules seem to be more about nuts-and-bolts about how to
edit your replies
(paraphrasing)
(1) clearly distinquish what you wrote from what you are quoting
(2) when quoting, include the name of who you are quoting
(3) bottom post
(4) trim!  For cripes sakes (that latter was my embellishment)