+1 for removing Karl from the list

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Wed Dec 9 08:36:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, December 8, 2009 17:00, Colin Law wrote:
> 2009/12/8 Amedee Van Gasse (ub) <amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be>:
>> On Tue, December 8, 2009 03:45, Andrew Kane wrote:
>>> "I know the CoC, but Karl doesn't or he ignores it, and I'm tired of
>>> seeing this behavior for years!
>>> NoOp is a good member which helps a lot and even he disagrees with
>>> Karl's behaviour, so please remove this person from the list."
>>>
>>> Victor, I am a relative newbie to this list, so I beg your indulgence.
>>> Who is empowered to remove subscribers from the list? Is this, in
>>> fact, a moderated list? Nothing that I have seen (in, admittedly, a
>>> brief search) indicates that it is a moderated list. If there is no
>>> moderator, then no one is available who can 'remove this person from
>>> the list'.  Please advise if I am incorrect.
>>
>> +1 for removing Karl from the list
>
> -1, live and let live.  Any censorship may be the thin end of the
> wedge.  If you don't like what he says just ignore him.

+1 for the reason that Cybe gives.

I can personally choose to ignore Karl, and I suppose that you missed my
message where I wrote in great detail how exactly I do that (so that
others can copy and learn).

But ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away. The main problem with
Karl isn't that his messages are disruptive to this list. The problem is
that he gives bad information. If you follow his instructions to the
letter, you will end up with a broken system or data loss.
This is harmfull for innocent newbies and they will blame Ubuntu in
general because "someone on the Ubuntu list told them so".

So I think that in this particular case the needs of the many outweigh the
needs of the few, or the one.

There is a precedent. Just ask Jan Claeys who is an active member of the
ubuntu-be mailing list. I know that Jan lurks here so he can correct me if
this moderation was on the ubuntu-be list or the openstandaarden list (or
both), I'm not 100% sure. But I seem to remember that the offending user
was also on ubuntu-be, and now he isn't AFAICT.

Sorry for the noise.

--
Amedee Van Gasse