Ubuntu 9.10 repeated dialogue: "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode"

Leonard lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 8 23:52:34 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/08/2009 12:17 PM, Paul Richards wrote:
>
>> 2009/12/6 Paul Richards<paul.richards at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Every time I boot up my machine I get an error dialogue:
>>>
>>> "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode
>>>
>>> The following error was encountered.  You may need to update your
>>> configuration to solve this.
>>>
>>> (EE) Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000: failed to initialise for
>>> relative axes."
>>>

>> [snip]
>>

>> While the finer differences between
>> upgrade/dist-upgrade/safe-upgrade/full-upgrade were being discussed I
>> tried a few things..  :)
>>
>> I tried wiping my xorg.conf (moved it aside and replaced it with a
>> blank file), and this did not help.
>>
>> I tried switching between "nv", "nvidia" and "vesa" xorg drivers, and
>> these did not help.
>>
>> I tried uninstalling xserver-xorg (with "--purge" when removing), and
>> then reinstalling, and this did not help.
>>
>> I finally tried installing Debian Lenny, and now everything is
>> perfect.  I'm sorry that this is not very helpful or constructive for
>> anyone here, but I needed a working system quickly.
>>

> Have a look at:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/491483
> [Since failsafe-x was enabled in karmic it starts if gdm is disabled and
> kdm is used. (low graphics mode error)]
> and see if gdm 2.28.1-0ubuntu2.1 fixes it for you.

Just some additional info.  NoOp as I mentioned before I stopped the
low-graphics resolution
error by removing gdm on my Karmic 64 bit running both gnome and
kubuntu-desktop.  Strangely
enough that fixed the low res issue on both of my 2 Karmic
installations(2 separate paritions). One
still has gdm installed but stopped spitting out the error as soon as I
rmed gdm from the other partition.
Removing gdm may fix the OP Karmic install if the new version of gdm
doesn't.  I just upgraded gdm
on the partition that still has it and will reinstall gdm on the othre
partition to see if that resolves the
issue.  I certainly would rather have a fix in place rather than a
workaround if possible. BTW, the
workaround has worked on both partitions for several reboots now without
a hitch.  HTH,

--
Leonard
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net