Ubuntu 9.10 repeated dialogue: "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode"

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Tue Dec 8 19:21:43 UTC 2009

08.12.2009 19:08, Leonard:

> Markus Schönhaber wrote:

>> OTOH I found this in the NEWS file in aptitude's source:
>>
>> | Version 0.4.10                              "Oscillating Reindeer"
>> |
>> |- New features:
>> | [...]
>> |   * safe-upgrade will now install new packages to fulfill dependences
>> |     (but it will never remove packages, downgrade packages, or install
>> |     a version that's not the default).  The option --no-new-installs
>> |     will disable this behavior.
>>
>> If we come back to the bind update, this post-Hardy change in aptitude
>> seems to explain why on Hardy 'full-upgrade' is needed while on Karmic
>> 'safe-upgrade' suffices.
>>
>> Nevertheless: the fact remains that 'safe-upgrade' and 'full-upgrade'
>> *are* different. The above mentioned change simply reduces the
>> probability that your own experience will prove you wrong ;-)
>>
> I'm not sure just what you are saying above.

The bottom line of what I'm saying above is: 'safe-upgrade' and
'full-upgrade' have indeed come closer together since Hardy (thus
increasing the chance that you really don't need the latter) but
nevertheless they are still some way apart.

> Ok, I'm giving up on this one.  You don't seem to appreciate what I'm
> saying especially

I do appreciate what you said and I don't doubt it - I simply draw
different conclusions from it than you do.
But I agree, we can put that subject to rest here.

> I did enjoy the debate

So did I.

--
Regards