9.1 a candidate for LTS?

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon Dec 7 07:25:08 UTC 2009

On Sunday 06 December 2009 9:51:17 pm Jatin Davey wrote:
> sdavmor wrote:
> > Pastor JW wrote:
> >>
> >> 10.04 will be the next LTS and was known it would be since 8.04.
> >> They are released on a two year cycle.  I'm currently on 8.04 and
> >> will update when 10.04 is a couple weeks old since I work on the
> >> computer and LTS is much more likely to be stable.
> >
> > My bad.  I was under the impression LTS was every 18 months.
>
> Apologies for my ignorance , I am a new Ubuntu user. Curious to know
> what this LTS release is ?
> I thought the ubuntu 9.10 release was the stable release. Could some one
> please explain why is there two seperate release such as 9.10 or 10.4 in
> the future which is said to be stable one. Could some one explain the
> reasoning behind these different releases. Pointers to it would also help.

This url should give you the reasoning behind it https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
but really there is only the difference as to how long the release will be
actively updated and bugfixed.  If you change every release of course you
will always be right out in front.  Of course, every 6 months is too often to
change systems for some of  us who need our machines working everyday so the
longer term for updating is more manageable for us.  So far you can go
directly from one LTS version to the next without having to go through every
release on the way up which also is a nice feature for busy people!
Curiosity is a good thing, how else does one find out the reasons behind why
things are as they are?!!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403