Cannot upate - Connection Error 111

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 6 22:21:17 UTC 2009

On 12/05/2009 11:12 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/05/2009 04:08 AM, Rafiq Hajat wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm using Hardy 8.04 and have recently encountered an error message
>> whenever I try to update:
>> Connection error 111 which seems to apply to firewalls & proxies, but
>> I'm not using either.
>> As a relative, but enthusiastic newbie, I would be grateful for any
>> advice/guidance that would resolve my quandary.
>
> What is the _exact_ error message you are getting?

Rafiq, please keep your responses in the same thread rather than
starting a new thread. From your other thread (Connection Error 11):

> Hi,
> the error message is a follows:
>  W: Failed to fetch
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-backports/universe/i18n/Translation-en_US.bz2  Could not connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111 Connection refused)
>
> W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.

It appears that you are running a proxy. Do you have anon-proxy
installed and/or do you have a proxy set in System|Preferences|Network
Proxy?

Also check:
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q="Could+not+connect+to+localhost%3A4001+(127.0.0.1)"&btnG=Google+Search>