apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues

stan stanb at panix.com
Sat Dec 5 18:21:39 UTC 2009

I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade on a 9.10 box, and when I rebooted. I
get a message about running in low-res mode. It says "(EE)XKB: no
components provided for virtual cire keyboard.

This machine has a Nvidia graphics card, and the Xorg.0.log file seems to
indicate that the nvidia module was laoded corectly:

This seems to e the root cause of the problem:

(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
(WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
[config/dbus] couldn't take over org.x.config:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Connection was disconnected before
a reply was received)
[config/hal] couldn't add match rule:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Connection is closed)
[config/hal] cannot detect a HAL startup.

What can I do to fix this?