Cannot install Ubuntu on a MacBook

Thomas Hasseier thomas.hasseier at mac.com
Sat Dec 5 17:40:36 UTC 2009

Hello everybody,

maybe there is someone who can give a hint to a newbie.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu or Kubuntu on a MacBook (Model 5,2 - Intel Core 2 Duo, 2,13 Ghz) and I fail.

I have loaded down the CD image and burned it on a CD. I've chosen the 64-bit version. When I start the MacBook from CD I get the starting screen, asking me to choose a language. I set the language to german and whatever option I choose afterwards e.g. "start from disk to leave the computer unchanged" or "install ubuntu" the cd-drive runs for about a minute, then it slows down and a little later it stops completely ... nothing happens anymore.

To make things worse, I regularly have trouble to restart the MacBook under OSX after trying to start or install Ubuntu.

MacOS recognizes the CD as a "Windows CD" in the systems setting "Start Volume"

Any idea what I could do to get Ubuntu installed on this MacBook ?

Greetings from Berlin/Germany
Thomas