32 or 64 bit?

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 21:57:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Chris Jones
<christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch> wrote:

>>   - Flash is still 32bit (the 32bit version works with 64bit
>>     browsers using a wrapper and there is a slightly buggy
>>     64bit version).
>
> Not true. 64 bit flash is no available for linux.

Actually there is a 64 bit flash alpha available from Adobe:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/64bit.html

I have used it for a while and haven't had any issues.

In regards to the 32 bit vs 64 bit question, if you have or might soon
have more than 4 GB of RAM, I would go with 64 bit.  If you have less
than 4 GB of RAM and don't plan any upgrades (at least before your
next re-install), then I would go 32 bit.

If you do install 64 bit, I would recommend installing ia32-libs (sudo
apt-get install ia32-libs) which should allow most 32 bit binaries to
run with little to no problems.

Preston