lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 18:24:24 UTC 2009

>>> Any idea where Privacy Extensions are configured?

>> It is a kernel config - IPV6_PRIVACY - and it is set to "y" in KK so
>> you would have to recompile your kernel in order to set it to "n" or
>> "m".

>> The corresponding proc entry is
>> /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/lo/use_tempaddr

>> and when I "sysctl" or "cat" mine, it returns "-1". (And it is 0 for wlan0.)

>> You could sysctl yours to "-1" if it isn't and it might stop the
>> "Privacy" messages. (And if it isn't set to "-1" for KK server
>> edition, you might want to file a bug report.)

>> The values that use_tempaddr can take are

>> <= 0 disable Privacy Extensions

>> == 1 enable Privacy Extensions, but prefer public addresses over
>> temporary addresses

>>> 1 enable Privacy Extensions and prefer temporary addresses over public addresses

>> Default 0 (for most devices)

>> Default -1 (for point-to-point devices and loopback devices)

> Thanks for the reply.  use_tempaddr is -1.  Since the error says that
> Privacy Extensions are turned off should I set it to 0 to get rid of the
> messages? What will that do?

You're welcome.

"-1" is the correct value for a loopback device and has the same
effect as "0" (see the documentation above; 1st line "<=0" and last
line "Default -1"). You could try 0 but I doubt that it will make a
difference.

I will install KK 32-bit server edition this weekend to see if I have
the same logging problem. No other ideas, sorry.