9.10 problem

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 02:14:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Gordon <gbplinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> The same doesn't happen with Windows 7 on the same machine - dual boot.
> Anyone had this?

The machine sounds too new to suffer from the infamous rogue capacitor
issue, but the symptoms kind of sound like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

When I worked on the BCM team at Nortel when we were switching from
Windows to Linux as the base OS for it, was roughly the same time that
this issue was at its peak.  And the BCM had a huge number of shipped
products that had these rogues capacitors on them.  In any case, as it
happened, I'm not sure why, but Windows (NT4) would often run just
fine on them, but once we upgraded to BCM 4.0 (the Linux load), they
would start having problems and often just hang solid.

So crack it open and have a look at the capacitors at least, to see if
they appear to be leaking.