Fw: Re: Karmic 9.10 new kernel BAD!

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 2 06:10:46 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 12/1/09, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

From: Christopher Chan <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: Karmic 9.10 new kernel BAD!
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 10:59 PM

Leonard wrote:
> Andrew Farris wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 18:28 -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry guys.  Karl did provide the info but to me directly and not
>>> copied the list.  I overlooked that fact when I read his email to me.
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>>          >>>>  In my case it's the linux-image-2.6.31-15 generic(Karmic
>>>          with kubuntu-desktop)
>>>          >>>>  64 bit and nVidia  GeForce 9400 GT card using the latest
>>>          proprietary driver nvidia-glx-185
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>>          >>>  01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc
>>>          Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
>>>
>> No problem. Thanks for sending the info through.
>>
>> For me:
>>          $ uname -r
>>          2.6.31-15-generic
>>
>> and
>>          $ lshw -c display
>>            *-display
>>                 product: RV630 [Radeon HD 2600XT]
>>                 vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
>>                 [snip]
>>                 configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0
>>                 [snip]
>>
>> This is a fresh 64-bit install, and no issues with flickering screens
>> etc. Previously, this system was running an upgraded 9.10 32-bit, also
>> the -15 kernel with no issues... i just decided that I wanted to fully
>> utilize my 64-bit hardware, so I reformatted.
>>
>> I did have an issue with my upgrade though that required me to purge my
>> old ATI drivers, and re-download them... maybe unrelated, but maybe not.
>>

> I think that is part of the Karmic buggabo.  I have had to reinstall
> the nVidia proprietary driver
> and -15 kernel many times to stop an infernal low res issue on startup
> and it only helps for the
> first reboot.  All this started for me when the last kernel, the -15
> one, was upgraded which also
> had new nVidia proprietary drivers included.  Prior to that upgrade, I
> was one of the few Karmic
> fresh install users that had zilch X window issues.   I now also have
> the sound issue(none) using
> the 64 bit flashplugin.  Things keep getting worse instead of better.
> Am looking forward to the next
> kernel or nVidia upgrade hoping for a fix.  I'll probably take the
> other guys suggestion and install
> the 190 nvidia driver before that happens.

/me is very sad he has to take the same approach with Ubuntu as he does
with Windows. Don't touch no new service pack until others have been
bitten all over. Don't touch no updates until others have been bitten
all over. Sigh

Try writing plain simple English.  I have no idea what your point is.
Leonard Chatagnier

lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net