Ubuntu 9.10 locking up regularly after upgrade (Was Re: I am using Ubuntu 9.10 version - facing problem with my system)

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Tue Dec 1 22:25:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 11:19 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
[snip]
> Perhaps interesting to know, that machine dual boots with Windows, and
> there I have the same lockups. I don't boot to Windows a lot, so I hadn't
> noticed yet.

My guess then, if the lockups are cross platform and everything else
checks out, that the motherboard is dying, or the CPU is dying. though
usually, a CPU death will be throwing off other symptoms such as drastic
system slowdowns, particularly when multitasking or doing something
intensive.

This may also be obvious, and you may have already checked it, but have
you looked around on the motherboard for obvious damage i.e. burn marks,
odd discolored-spots, bulging capacitors, etc? A while back the computer
at my parents' house was experiencing cross-platform random
lockups/crashes, and it turned out that the motherboard popped every
capacitor on the CPU's power circuit.

--
Andrew