Tiny Shuttle Computer case

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 16:17:24 UTC 2009

sdavmor wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Avi Greenbury wrote:
>>> It's also not overly effective (but it is quiet), we've used to
>>> get shuttles from a supplier to run their kit, but they kept
>>> melting. I know of several in 'normal' usage doing fine for a
>>> while (PSUs appear to be their weakpoint, but they're not
>>> particularly worse than anyone else), but these ones spent most
>>> of their lives at high load 24/7 and just kept falling over.
>>>
>>> We drilled a couple to take 2x50mm fans on the sides, which
>>> worked wonders. But since space isn't really a premium, we use
>>> Dell desktops instead now.
>>>
>>> Avi Greenbury http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)
>>> http://aviswebsite.co.uk/asking-questions
>> As you recall the cpu cooler is weird. And it states it can't
>> dissipate more than 150 watts of waste heat. I expect  this was the
>> failure point.
>>
>> We will see if this is a problem in normal use.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>
> While I haven't used these Shuttle systems, a few years ago one
> customer of mine was using similar compact systems for Linux servers
> in their dry-cleaning stores.

	Dry cleaner stores run Hot! They use a lot of bad for
computers liquid's that become a gas. I imagine ANY computer
would fail fast in a Dry Cleaners!

  So the systems were up 7/24 though
> after the nightly backup and other processes ran they went into
> low-power mode. The point where they failed was in heat-dissipation of
> the CPU fan and in the failure of the weak power-supplies.

	It has a 250 watt PS which is fine with a modest cpu. I have
checked my CPU heat and it is well within the Shuttle spec of
no more than 150 watts.

73 Karl

  We

--