Printing to a file

Tue Dec 1 13:57:25 UTC 2009

R Kimber wrote:

> Is it possible to set up a printer so that it just prints to a file,
> and not to a physical printer?
>
> I have an HP DeskjetF4280, which works fine, but I can't see any
> options in the normal printer setup process to create a printer that
> just prints to a file.

From where? And to what? Do you want to print to a PDF, an image, an
office document of some sort?

A common means of printing is to write to the 'file' that is the
printer, and many applications provide a means of saving what you'd
otherwise print. It's often simpler to save to a less desirable
filetype and then convert it to the format you want than to create a
printer for it, since there isn't really any printing involved.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)