VLC problem with autoplay

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Mon Aug 31 22:23:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 22:33 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> Hi
>
> I installed VLC Media Player 0.9.4 on Intrepid and it seemed to be
> working well.  When I plug in a CD it comes up with a dialog asking
> which player to use, I select VLC and all is well.  At least it was
> until I also selected Always use this app (or words to that effect).
> Now it autoplays the first time I plug in a CD but if I remove it,
> shutting down VLC, then the next time I insert a CD VLC appears as a
> process in System Monitor but does nothing.  If I remove the CD and
> re-insert then another instance of VLC appears but still does nothing.
>
> To add insult to injury I cannot work out how to disable autoplay.
> Googling leads to suggestions that I use System, Preferences,
> Removable drives and Media but I do not seem to have this, nor can I
> find similar settings on another applet.
>
> Any help on either of these issues would be much appreciated.
>
> Colin

Removable drives and Media is not the tool to accomplish this, though it
should be present under the mentioned menu unless you hid/removed it.
FYI, to launch the tool directly, hit alt+f2 (or go to a terminal) and
type in
    gnome-volume-properties

However the settings you are ACTUALLY searching for is in Nautilus'
preferences. Open up a Nautilus (file browser) window, and go to "Edit >
Preferences | Media tab"

That's where you set up your autorun preferences.

Home that helps!

--
Andrew