[ubuntu-users] Double Trouble with GRUB

Ted Hilts thilts at mcsnet.ca
Mon Aug 31 20:54:30 UTC 2009

Andrew Farris wrote:
> First off, I'm going to warn you... a lot of people aren't going to be
> happy with you posting picture-attachments to this mailing list.
> text-based command outputs like you included would have been all that
> was necessary, though I understand you're intentions and applaud the
> effort. now...
>
> On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 16:21 -0600, Ted Hilts wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> I don't want to mess Ubuntu up because most of the time it boots up to
>> "/" (root system) and does not complain.  When it does not boot up
>> properly it seems to be trying to boot on "hda".  Ubuntu seems to be
>> booting from the "fstab" file definitions and not from GRUB.  I cannot
>> figure any other explanation as there do not seem to be any references
>> in GRUB.which reference "sd" hard drives..
>>

> Quick lesson: Grub defines hard drives differently from the linux kernel
> does. this differnece is normal, though maybe confusing to someone who
> hasnt seen it before.  The conversion goes something like this:
>     In Grub:    In Ubuntu:
>     (hd0,0)     sda1
>     (hd0,1)     sda2
>     (hd1,0)     sdb1
>     (hd3,7)     sdd6
>     etc...      etc...
>
> Also, fstab (aka the file located at "/etc/fstab") is the file that
> holds the configuration for any partitions that are to be
> mounted/auto-mounted under Linux. This ls also fully normal, and also
> somewhat complicated to someone who has never messed with it before.
> I'll leave the specifics of how/why these work they way they do as an
> 'exercise to the reader', should it be necessary.  Basically though, if
> fstab is attempting to handle things when you get your error, then Grub
> is done working, and probably isn't your problem.
>
> Other than that... Your specific problem was a little hard to interpret,
> so I'm not sure how to proceed.  As far as I understood, you are/were
> having an issue with ubuntu occasionally failing to boot up. is that
> correct?
>
> can you give any more details of the nature of this failure, such as the
> exact text of any error messages on-screen, what you did prior to the
> boot failure, etc?  thanks!
>
> [snip]
>
>> Sorry for all the detail but I think it is necessary if someone wants to
>> help me on this problem.
>>

> Dont worry. Generally, detail is good. I personally kind of prefer
> people who give a lot of details, as opposed to people who post a
> question, supply no info, then make getting that info harder than
> pulling teeth, as they expect you to psychically know it already.
>
> [snip]
>
>> ted at Ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/fstab
>> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
>> #
>> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
>> # /dev/sda3
>> UUID=c8f92b8f-2f46-4500-929b-ccf369500593 /               ext3
> [...]
Andrew Farris:

Thanks for the effort.  I was confused regarding GRUB disk assignments.
It has been a long long time since I became aware of the differences
between GRUB and the other boot schemes. I am in the slow process of
regaining what I have lost from my memory and trying to sort out new
ways of doing things from my old ways. The tutorial was nice to get --
thanks.  I was hoping that the information I sent would have been more
helpful in that the problem would just jump out because it was something
I was missing in the boot set up. It seems I needed on more picture.

Is there is a log file of some sort that I could set up that might
document where and how the problem occurs?  The boot does generate a
line by line output to the terminal but it is too fast for me to read.
What happens is this:  The picture I sent of System Monitor is the
correct kind of information -- I knew that before posting the problem.
HOWEVER,  if I could send a picture of the System Monitor at the time of
this failure it would look very different.  I never thought of sending a
two picture scenario -- one when it is working (I sent that one) and one
when it is not working (I did not even think of sending that picture).
Anyway, the 2 pictures, in my mind, seem to tell the story because  only
after the problem has occurred the top part of the System Monitor is
displayed and that picture leaves most of the hard drives NOT in the
System Monitor picture but also non functional.  The only message I have
been able to read is something like "fix it yourself" -- that's not the
actual wording. And the system (what there is of it) goes into
Administration mode and provides the command shell.  The system thinks
that the file system has failed and tells me to fix it.  At this stage I
ran file system checks but that is not the problem.  The problem is that
most of the hard drives and therefore the ones in "fstab" are NOT
mounted -- that's obvious.  What I have been doing is simply  on the
command line doing "shutdown -h now" which brings up the Ubuntu system
without the rest of the file system. At this point the System Monitor
shows that most of the hard drives have not been mounted. Further, the
failure to mount the rest of the file system is not a permanent
situation -- sometimes the problem occurs and sometimes it doesn't.
What usually works is to roll back or just shut the system down without
any connection to the ac power and let it go through a cold reboot.

This next part may not be relevant but here goes anyway.  I usually have
no problem if the booting up occurs after there has been a shut down for
a while like an hour or more. If I try to boot up right after the
problem has occurred then chances are it won't boot properly and most of
the file system will be missing.  There are a total of 8 drives one of
which is the DVD/CD rw and the rest are hard drives with most of them
NTFS formatted but one is "ext3" and a partiion in another is also
"ext3" for "/".  The power supply was sized for all these drives.  In
addition, the system is dual boot, Ubuntu and XP.  This probably means
that there is a large capacitance that would hold power maybe enough
power so that the charge does not melt off for a while.  This is bad
power design and could cause a problem when turning on the machine. Or,
maybe the power design is good but the component that should drain
residual power has failed -- still a bad design.

The big point aside from my speculation is simply most of the file
system  goes AWOL.

Thanks, hope this extra information is useful.

Ted Hilts