Hate SATA hard drives

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Mon Aug 31 00:32:13 UTC 2009

Shannon McMackin wrote:

> Then don't use SATA drives.  Good old-fashioned SCSI drives must still
> be available or the more expensive SAS drives.  Karl, if you chose a
> system with SATA drives, you must've known it was an inexpensive or
> cheap alternative to more reliable, better performing drive technologies.

These days SATA drives are actually very well made, and studies tend to
show little significant difference between them and SCSI:
(http://www.usenix.org/events/fast07/tech/schroeder.html).

The SATA motherboard connector however, received criticism for being
overly flimsy in design at introduction (can't recall the article where
I read this), and clearly Karl has run into this. I always check that
the my SATA cables are firmly plugged in and have no other cables etc
leaning on them.

Cheers

Mark