Removing old Kernels (Resolved)

Stephen stephen_o at rogers.com
Sun Aug 30 05:33:26 UTC 2009

Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:11:01 +0100, Stephen <stephen_o at rogers.com> wrote:
>

>> Steve wrote:

>>> Use synaptic
>>>
>>> System -> Administartion -> Synaptic
>>>
>>> it will also remove thwe entries from GRUB as well
>>>

>> Thanks for the reply
>>
>> I'm fairly new to linux, and really green with Ubuntu.
>>
>> I did as you suggested. When I ran Synaptic Package Manager.
>> I scrolled down through the list of aps, and then I did a search for
>> kernels.
>> I don't have a clue which apts I can safely remove, and I don't want to
>> end up re-installing my whole system.
>>

> As  Fred suggested 'linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic' is the one to remove.
> I would suggest keeping the two newset kernels in case there is ever a
> problem.  You can then boot from the other.  As  you can see there are
> always several ways of doing things with Linux.  The method I use is:-
>
> Having launched Synaptic slect Status then Installed.  In the Qucik Serch
> box type linux-image then scroll down and click on
> linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic and slect Mark for Complete Removal.  Any
> other packages related to it that can be removed will be listed, just
> selct Mark then Apply and away you go.

I went into synaptics package manager and searched for the image file. I
removed 2.6.28-11 image and when I rebooted it was gone from the boot
menu. I only had to edit boot\grub\menu.ls to make windows the default
boot up.

Other people use this computer and it makes things simpler for them.

Thanks a lot for the information;
Stephen Oulton.