Saving On Line Video

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 00:58:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Mark C. Miller<mr.mcmiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 and would like to find a program that will save
> video from sites like You Tube and the video clips from MSNBC.

In addition to youtube-dl, there is 'clive' which is also in the repositories.

If you are careful, you usually can get to the swf file by watching
the contents of /tmp where it is downloaded to, and rename it to
something else before the browser decides to delete it :).

Just did a test on clive against a randomly selected MSNBC video clip
and it doesn't seem to work - there seems to be a python problem. I
just copied and pasted the URL that firefox displayed on the open
window for the video clip. But I went ahead and moved the Flash clip
to another name, and was able to play it in mplayer :).

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.