MSI: Don't buy our webcam

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Sat Aug 29 17:05:14 UTC 2009

Hi!

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> 	Yes I want to add my experience to that of Thomas. I have over the
> years bought Logitech which has NEVER said on the box that it works with
> Linux, ANY Linux, but their stuff always does. My old but good trackball
> from them is an example. It started with Fedora and still works with
> this Ubuntu Jaunty. And I have never needed a "driver".
>
> 73 Karl

And it's going to get better. They are now working on official Linux
support for control devices, in particular... webcams, I don't know yet.

All high-end (i.e. above 70 USD) Logitech webcams are USB-VC... And now
probably all newer also, regardless of their price.

Keep in mind, though, that though they do USB-VC, that only provides
basic functionality. All the additional fancy stuff you see on the box
uses proprietary drivers (face tracking, pan/scan)... some of which
COULD be implemented on Linux... most of which are using binary
libraries from chipset manufacturers out of the control of Logitech to
publish.

The joint work on V4L2 and webcam for linux support by Sun and Logitech
is doing marvels now and making great progress.

Gilles