MSI: Don't buy our webcam

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Fri Aug 28 22:12:45 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>    I feel like they may well not support Linux with their hardware no
>> mater what we ask them to do.  There job is to make money and not much
>> else.
>>

> They stand to make money by selling me a webcam.

I concur with your feelings on this issue - I had to call up HP support
for a warranty claim on a faulty LCD monitor last week. Oh my goodness.
First I had to fight with their terrible IVR phone system (no option for
monitors)! then had to randomly decide whether I was a business or home
user - guessed wrong of course... etc. After several call attempts I was
speaking to someone in India (I'm from New Zealand) - and while he was
polite and professional, he had difficulty understanding me, difficulty
working out where my address was and how it was spelled,  difficulty
understanding how I deduced that is was the monitor that was faulty and
not my video card (plugged into my laptop)...

After all this, yes I did get a replacement (refurbished) monitor that
seems ok, but the amount of time it took, and the level of frustration I
experienced means I will *not* be choosing HP for my next monitor (or
anything else). I realize that the next vendor might be just as bad -
but to vote with my money like Doten is suggesting is the only power we
consumers have. To do otherwise it to reward HP (or in his case MSI) for
the treatment we received.

Following on from Doten's point - you would think that these companies
would realize that there is money (and customers) to be *lost*  by
cutting support  organizations to the bone the way they all seem to be
doing now.

So, ahem - hello to vendors skimming this list - we want support with at
least reasonable expertise and attitude, and *don't* want stupid IVR
phone systems or staff from somewhere so far away that communication is
painful.

regards

Mark